Magdala Tennis Club

Club's History

 

Founded in 1883 as a lacrosse club on the Forest Recreation Ground (Nottingham’s Racecourse), the club soon switched to tennis and by 1888 had moved to our present site between Magdala Road and Mapperley Road. 
 
Magdala has a long history of success in Notts LTA leagues, winning the men’s championship at least six times. The ladies have won only once but have been runners-up a number of times. The present clubhouse was built in 1936 and the land on which it stands was purchased in 1944.
 
The fifth grass court was added in 1920 and in 1958 the two courts furthest from Woodborough Road were converted to hard courts.   The grass was replaced with carpet in 1987/8 and floodlights first appeared in 1994. In 1998 the carpet courts were replaced with the aid of lottery funding, an LTA loan and club funds.
 
 Old photo of tennis club members

 

Magdala Lawn Tennis Club, Magdala Road, Nottingham, NG3 5DH info@magdalatennis.org.uk Member Login